Getting our bake on

Regular readers know how much Bubba and I love to cook, and this weekend was no different.

We made a sweet potato, chick pea and lentil Moroccan stew, baked vegetable patties, upside down pear and apple muffins, and attempted a bounty-inspired slice. I’m not sure if you can get bounty bars outside of Australia, but in case you can’t: it’s a coconut bar wrapped in chocolate.

Inspired by a couple of recipes I’ve seen on Pinterest in the past year or so, as well as my attempt to spoon less sugar into my cakie {I’m so good when it comes to Bubba, and so bad when it comes to me}, the bounty slice is to be my sweet treat for the week.

All of the ingredients I used are organic.

2 cups of shredded coconut
1 cup of coconut oil {melted}
1/3 cup of honey {warmed}
1 teaspoon sea salt

Mix together, press into a tin lined with baking or wax paper and freeze for 20 minutes or so until it sets. Once your base has set, melt one cup of dark chocolate, mixed with one teaspoon of coconut oil. Just before you pour it onto the base, add a grind or two of sea salt.

Pour the chocolate over the base and pop it back into the freezer to set.

Next time I might use a little less coconut {maybe 1/4 cup less} so that the base of the slice is a little softer. I might also try a version with some peppermint oil added to the coconut base – more peppermint pattie than bounty. I might also toast the coconut a little for some added crispy crunch in the slice. I’ll report back once I’ve tried these variations!

bounty slice

I tried to slice it, but because the base was so firm, it broke apart rather than sliced, so rustic bounty it is.

And let’s be honest: it’s not really going to matter how pretty it is when it’s in my belly now, is it?

1. Sage says:

Yum! I’ll have to give these a try.

2. Never heard of Bounty, but it sounds like a Mounds Bar around here. Yum! Coconut and dark chocolate – what could possibly go wrong?

3. Bongo says:

That looks so yummy! Could you send some over my way? Oh, my person can make them? I hope she gets on it quick.

1. You will want to avoid the chocolate part though Bongo, or you might need to see Bubba the vet! http://wp.me/p1m5Gv-1p8

1. Bongo says:

Bubba the vet gives good loves though.

2. She does … but I’m almost certain she’d give out those loves without you having to get a tummy ache first!

4. dogdaz says:

Wow. And even this gluten free dairy free vegan house can make these. Yummy! Thanks

1. We gluten free vegetarians are happy to hear!

1. dogdaz says:

Post more recipes !!!!

2. I have been thinking about doing ‘Tasty Tuesday’ for a while …

3. dogdaz says:

I did that once. Not a big dog chef, but human stuff, Yum!

5. tylersat99 says:

Great fun to cook together 🙂

6. I am making these right now! I had to sub in carob for the chocolate, as I have a chocolate allergy *sob* but so far it’s all looking just like yours and my tummy is roaring in anticipation!!

1. Let me know how they taste! I can’t imagine being allergic to chocolate?!

1. They turned out super lovely, an excellent treat! 🙂 Chocolate allergies are one of those things you never really get used too, but there are some tricks that make it bearable… like making blondies instead of brownies, or finding recipes like this one with other really good flavours (coconut, honey & salt) so that you don’t really notice that the chocolate flavour is slightly off.
        Thank you for the great recipe!

7. Bassa's Blog says:

I love bounty bars! 🙂

1. And you love to cook – these are so easy!